INSIGHT CRIME — Mexico’s Attorney General’s Office is seeking to bring new charges against soldiers implicated in the June 2014 massacre of almost two dozen people after a judge recently released the remaining three suspects in the case due to lack of evidence.
In a May 14 press release, the Attorney General’s Office (Procuraduría General de la República – PGR) said it “will provide evidence” against the freed soldiers “so that they will be re-apprehended and formally processed.” The PGR announced late last week that a judge from a civilian court in Mexico State had ordered the soldiers’ release because of insufficient evidence against them.
The soldiers were charged with homicide and tampering with the crime scene in relation to the June 2014 killing of 22 people in a warehouse in the town of Tlatlaya, in a remote area west of Mexico City.
The army initially said the deaths were the result of a shootout after gang suspects opened fire on soldiers. But Associated Press reporter Mark Stevenson went to the scene and published a story that contrasted sharply with the official version of events. In October 2014, Mexico’s National Human Rights Commission determined the soldiers had summarily executed up to 15 of the victims.