Here are five different views of a single, controversial educational institution that majors in students from India — the Northwestern Polytechnic University of Fremont, Calif.:
- The venerable Times of India calls it a “massive academic rip-off”;
- Slightly more charitably, India’s Foreign Minister, Sushma Swaraj, tweeted that NPU and another, somewhat similar institution, Silicon Valley University, “are not blacklisted, but they are not reputed either.”
- Nameless immigration inspectors from one branch of DHS, Customs and Border Protection, have stopped dozens of would-be students (all Indians) from being admitted to the United States to attend NPU, apparently on the grounds that they really are not students and that their applications for admission were fraudulent.
- Another, sleepier DHS agency, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), continues to allow NPU to cause the admission of foreign students to the extent that NPU, according to BuzzFeed, has more students than Harvard University has undergraduates; and
- The Internal Revenue Service continues to regard this slight institution as a 501(c)(3) organization, thus giving it tens of millions of dollars in tax breaks (as we will show later) despite a $29 million profit in 2014 on a $40 million gross, and despite the fact that NPU’s reports to the IRS (Form 990) for 2013 and 2014 show no cash contributions, no contributed services, and no government grants. (NPU apparently saved some money when it hired its accounting firm — the 990 for 2014 is replete with linguistic errors and manages to spell the name of the university in several different ways.) For the full 990 report, see here.
A bit of anecdotal evidence about the questionable quality of the school is the on-the-web confession of an admittedly marginal student from India about how, despite a terrible academic record and far-below average credentials he managed to be admitted to NPU and, after three failures, to secure an F-1 visa. Why this former resident of India, Mohan Rahul, would publish his record, and the fact that he lied to federal officials, all in broken English, is beyond understanding, as we as reported in an earlier blog post.