BREITBART — “I appreciate the enthusiasm of the New York delegation” Cruz said of the first delegates to boo. Then Cruz went into a story about his parents as the chants continued for an endorsement.
Boos and commotion could be heard on the floor for about the last ten minutes of Cruz’s speech.
“Endorse Trump! Endorse Trump!” and “We Want Trump” could be heard as Cruz wrapped up.
At the end of Cruz’s speech, Trump immediately appeared on the convention floor to cheers and motioned to the crowd, making it clear that Cruz’s non-endorsement would not be allowed to shift the narrative.
Trump’s children including Don Jr. and Ivanka were visibly unhappy during Cruz’s speech.
Cruz offered an awkward laugh as Trump upstaged him, then Cruz walked off the stage.
The showdown was historically significant, representing one of the most divisive moments in a Republican convention in modern times. But Trump clearly had the crowd on his side and Cruz was defeated.
• TED CRUZ PUTS HIS POLITICAL CAREER AHEAD OF HIS COUNTRY — AND IT BACKFIRES — WASHINGTON TIMES
• ROGER STONE: TED CRUZ ‘IS A DUMB SON OF A BITCH’ — BREITBART
• GOP CONVENTION: THUNDEROUS BOOS FOR CRUZ FOR REFUSING TO ENDORSE TRUMP — STARS & STRIPES
• CHRISTIE: ‘SELFISH’ TED ‘RICHLY DESERVES’ HIS REPUTATION — BREITBART
• CRUZ BOOED AS HE WITHHOLDS TRUMP ENDORSEMENT IN CONVENTION SPEECH — WASHINGTON TIMES
• HEIDI CRUZ ESCORTED OUT — BREITBART
• CRUZ REBUFFED BY ADELSON — BREITBART
• CONVENTION ERUPTS AT CRUZ SNUB — THE HILL
• CLINTON ECHOES CRUZ: ‘VOTE YOUR CONSCIENCE’ — THE HILL
• INGRAHAM SWIPE AT CRUZ GETS STANDING OVATION — THE HILL
• REP. PETER KING: CRUZ ‘MORE OF A DISGRACE NOW THAN EVER’ — WASHINGTON EXAMINER
• CHRISTIE TO CRUZ: NO WONDER CONGRESS HATES YOU — WASHINGTON EXAMINER